Wednesday 4 September 2013

My Ombré Hair Care Routine & Results

I absolutely love having ombré hair. I find that it adds so much more texture to my hair especially when I curl it and can add that little extra boost to any outfit. However, having ombré hair comes at a cost as you are technically applying peroxide to your hair which is as bad as it sounds. So, here is my go-to hair routine to make sure that my hair stays in great condition and avoids turning brassy and yellow.

Step 1: Lush – Marilyn
I have used this product for quite some time now and feel that I can finally say that I’ve found my Holy Grail pre-wash treatment for my ombré hair! Marilyn is designed to make your hair lighter whilst also strengthening and adding protein to your hair. In all honesty, I don’t really use Marilyn to condition my hair - I’ll get onto that product later. I use it for the noticeable difference it makes to the colour of my hair. Having really dark hair naturally, it was really hard to achieve a true blonde at first without it looking brassy and orange. However, using Marilyn I’ve noticed that my blonde is a lot lighter and brighter. The product itself is a yoghurt type consistency and doesn’t drip off when you apply it to your hair. The smell isn’t great but it’s bearable and most importantly, the smell doesn’t linger on your hair after you’ve washed it.  I apply the product around 20 minutes before I wash my hair (as instructed). Usually, I will apply it, clip my hair up into a bun and then run my bath which usually takes around 20 minutes with the amount of water I have in there! I then wash it out before I apply my shampoo. I use it around 2-3 times a week depending on how happy I am with my blonde at the time. A tub costs £8.95 and I find that it lasts me around a month which is perfect for each pay day. Give it a try if your nostrils aren’t too sensitive!







..........................................................................................................................

Step 2: Lee Stafford – Bleach Blondes Shampoo & Conditioner
I discovered this shampoo and conditioner when a friend of the family who has bleached blonde hair herself had recommended them to me. I have enjoyed using them for over a year now and noticed a considerable change to the tone of my hair from the first wash. As the shampoo is a toning shampoo I only tend to use it once or twice a week mixed with any other colour boosting shampoo. At the moment I’m alternating between Lee Stafford shampoo and Loreal Elvive Colour Protect shampoo to avoid over toning. The conditioner, however, I use each time I wash my hair. The shampoo is a very deep thick purple colour, (feels as though I am applying poster paint to my hair!) whereas the conditioner is a very light pinky purple colour. In my opinion, both the shampoo and conditioner smell great and the pink and purple packaging looks great sat on the ledge of my bath next to my Soap & Glory bath products! The only thing I’d warn you about is that, with any other purple toning shampoo, don’t fall into the trap of leaving it on for too long because you think it’ll make your hair even brighter. Leaving the shampoo on for too long can cause your hair to go purple, especially if you have naturally light hair to begin with. Luckily, I haven’t faced this problem with my dark hair…yet.



..........................................................................................................................

Step 3: Aussie – Three Minute Miracle Deep Treatment
I’ve only been using this product for around a month now and I am already completely obsessed with it. I’ve heard a lot of people raving about the Aussie products but had always found myself sticking to my Tresemmé hair mask each time I shopped around for a new one. Bleaching your hair doesn’t exactly leave it in the best condition so when I find a great hair treatment that actually works straight away, I tend to loyally stick to it. I find that I apply treatments to my hair a lot more often when I have my hair ombré as any sort of bleaching to your hair isn’t great for it. The Three Minute Miracle treatment leaves me with tangle-free, luscious, great smelling hair and I always find myself running my fingers through my hair and casually having a quick sniff at work when nobody is watching! As far as I am concerned the product does exactly what it says on the tin (well, bottle) – a three minute miracle! I usually apply this when I’m in the bath and clip my hair up to avoid the ends dipping into the water – whilst I’m waiting for the three minutes to be up, I’ll wash with my Soap & Glory Sugar Crush Body Wash (my current fave), shave my legs etc - the usual bath routine. I’ll usually time the three minutes by playing a 3 minute long-ish song (usually Beyoncé) on my phone as I’m rubbish at timing! Finally, I’ll rinse it out and I’m doneJ. Unlike other treatments, I noticed a difference in my hair from the first wash and think it works really well alongside my Lush Marilyn lightening treatment. For the great price and great result, I will definitely being repurchasing!



..........................................................................................................................

Step 4: Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
The second time I got my hair ombre'd I was complaining to my hairdresser how much hard work it is keeping my hair in good condition. She recommended that I use the Redken Extreme Anti-Snap treatment after I’d towel-dried my hair. Compared to the first time I had my hair ombre, I have noticed a complete transformation in the ends of my hair. The first time I had bleached hair I used to DREAD attempting to get a brush through it. Even my beloved Tangle Teezer had trouble sometimes! The split ends looked absolutely dreadful and I always found myself popping into the hairdressers for a quick trim. However, using the anti-snap treatment has worked wonders on my split ends. I’m not saying that they have completely disappeared but they are a lot, lot less noticeable now. I only use about a 20p size amount each time I use it, I apply it directly to the ends of my hair and brush it through. I paid £16.50 for a regular size bottle but Feel Unique sell it for a lot cheaper. I completely recommend it if you’re struggling with split ends or your hair is in need of a pick-me-up.




..........................................................................................................................


Step 5: Lee Stafford Sun Kissed Lightening Spray

I received this lightening spray last year as part of a Lee Stafford Christmas goody bag that my Mum put together for me. I’d never heard of it before but was keen to give it a try. That was Christmas last year and I am still using it now. I love this product and feel like my hair care routine isn’t complete without using it. I spray it onto the lower ends of my hair (obviously) and rub it in the with my hands. Despite my love for this product, I am still not quite used to the smell. It doesn't smell like your typical Lee Stafford hair product scent - I find it to smell quite chemically (if that's a word?). I'd only avoid using this if your hair is naturally quite dry. I find that if I spray too much on my hair at once, my hair can become quite dry and brittle. To avoid this I only spray around 4 or 5 times on each side of my hair. Other than that, I find it to be a great product to give my hair that extra 'sun-kissed' boost!



..........................................................................................................................





 ..........................................................................................................................

Links for each product

Lush Marilyn

Lee Stafford Bleach Blondes Shampoo & Conditioner


Aussie Three Minute Miracle Deep Treatment


Redken Extreme Anti-Snap


Lee Stafford Sun Kissed Lightening Spray


..........................................................................................................................

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! My hair isn't ombre but I love to use the Aussie three minute miracle on my hair because I use heat on it a lot, and it makes it so soft afterwards and the smell is so nice!!

    http://mintsunday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thankyou :) I know! I don't know why I haven't used it before! It's so cheap aswell.

      Thanks for commenting
      Xx

      Delete